Evaluation Foundations and Careers
At AEA’s Summer Evaluation Institute 2019
Sunday, June 9, 2019, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
AEA SUMMER EVALUATION INSTITUTE 2019: PRE-INSTITUTE WORKSHOP #2
Every time we try something new, we ask ourselves, “Is it better than before? What makes it good? What is its value?” This process of valuing may be applied to anything from purchasing a computer, to judging the quality of a school curriculum, or an organization’s training program. The art and science of valuing is called Evaluation. All human beings evaluate, albeit informally, but the ability to evaluate systematically and accurately is important to our society and has the power to help improve individual lives and society as a whole. This course aims to introduce you to some of the most important concepts and methods that underpin the thriving profession of evaluation and introduce you to a wide variety of ways to use professional evaluation knowledge in your career. You will learn about fundamental evaluation topics and concepts in four areas: evaluation theory, evaluation methods, evaluation practice and research on evaluation practice.
What you will learn:
- An understanding of the history and influences of evaluation in society
- An overview of the guiding principles, evaluator competencies, how to achieve cultural competency in evaluation practice, and standards for modern evaluation practice
- How to distinguish evaluation’s purposes and evaluators’ roles and activities
- Become familiar with major evaluation concepts and methods and with the vast number of career opportunities for professional evaluators
- The wide range of applications of evaluation concepts and methods in your career
Dr. Steward Donaldson, TEI Faculty and Executive Director of the Claremont Evaluation Center (CEC) at Claremont Graduate University and Professor of Psychology and Community & Global Health.
Westin Peachtree Plaza
210 Peachtree Street Northwest
Atlanta, GA 30303
This workshop is being held at the American Evaluation Association (AEA) Summer Evaluation Institute 2019. For more information on the workshop please visit the AEA Summer Institute Workshop page. For registration and price listing please visit the Summer Institute Registration page.